THE BRUSH ARBOR
Rev. Marion Brown
In an effort to promote biblically-based, doctrinal preaching, I want to reproduce some sermon outlines from the ministry of Robert L. Brush. My purpose is not to produce a polished homiletical specimen, but to provide a model from which pastors and teachers might profit. Here is a message he preached at Mascot, Tennessee in December 1981.
What I Preach
Introduction: The total gospel message is based upon two axioms:
All Salvation is of the Lord.
All damnation is of ourselves.
The whole of the scriptures, when properly understood, support these axioms. Some wrest the scriptures to their own destruction. Others, thank God, open to its teachings as a flower to the sun and are blessed by its truth.
- Men are totally depraved and cannot come to God without Divine assistance. John 6:44
- Repentance must proceed the New Birth. Luke 13:5; Acts 3:19; 17:30
- True saving faith is a gift of God as well as an act of the will. Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 1:29
- The New Birth is produced by the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:34-45, 1 Corinthians 12:13
- He that is born of the Spirit does not commit sin. 1 John 3:9
- Sin is rebellion against God. Romans 8:7 Sin is defined as a willful transgression of a known law of God — John Wesley
- All Christians have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts. Galatians 5:24
- Sin remains in the heart of the believer, but it does not reign. Romans 6:12
- Conviction of the remains of sin must precede any real progress toward entire sanctification. Galatians 5:17
- Entire sanctification is a second work of grace, wrought in the heart of the believer, by grace through faith subsequent to regeneration. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
- There is no state of grace from which a believer may not fall. Hebrews 12:15
- The leaven of the gospel will leaven the whole earth. Habakkuk 2:14
- Jesus Christ will return to the earth in a bodily visible form at the end of the age, at which time there shall be a resurrection of the just and the unjust. Jesus Christ will judge them and separate the sheep on the right hand and the goats on the left. Matthew 25:33
RETURN TO INDEX